Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Martha Mentality

As a pastor, sometimes I get the Martha mentality. You know what I mean - busy about many things. Oh, I love the Lord and enjoy my time with Him, but man oh man can the list of things to do crowd my mind and time.

Martha engaged herself in much serving, while Mary sought the better thing - to sit at Jesus' feet. Martha wasn't sinning, nor was she doing anything evil, but she became so engaged in service that she didn't stop and recognize who she was serving. Perhaps she was a little OCD (anyone identify with that?).

I have learned to discipline myself as King David did - when my heart is overwhelmed, lead me to the rock that is higher than I. I know that when there is so much to do and I become distressed, that is the time I must stop and spend time at His feet - and it helps me rest, refocus, and refresh as to why I do what I do in the first place.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,

I struggle with this same thing. Chris & I pray for you regularly, & remember - if you ever need anything, don't be a stranger.
Have a great weekend!

February 28, 2008 at 11:05 PM  
Blogger David Martin said...

Thanks, Kate. Appreciate the prayers. And I am grateful for the great relationship I have with all the great folks at APC!

March 4, 2008 at 3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home