Monday, February 4, 2008

Coming Up For Air

I'm not a griper and don't plan to start. It just isn't a healthy practice and I don't believe it pleases God. And now you are expecting the "BUT" - well, not really.

I am 3 1/2 years into my first solo / lead pastor post, and am still excited about what God has for me, my family, and our church. All the time I ask God for wisdom - help me to do what I am supposed to be doing, and to delegate or leave the rest. That is easy in word, harder in practice. It is difficult to hear those who say how easy it is to do. I am learning to set boundaries, not say "yes" to everyone and everything, and to delegate things that I don't need to be doing. It is challenging for a perfectionist personality to release things to others, because they may do it differently or not up to "my" standards. How many perfectionists can say a hearty "Amen" to that? But how important it is to help others discover their gifts and not hinder them for fear they may do it "wrong".

So while some days I feel like I'm trying to come up for air, it is far better than sitting on the shore afraid of the water!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill Kiger said...

Just wanted to let you know that you were missed yesterday at our sectional meeting in Scottdale. It's always good to see you there.

February 6, 2008 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger David Martin said...

Thanks, Bill. Just one of those days that I couldn't clone myself and be in two places. Will see you at Sectional Council.

February 8, 2008 at 10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home